Tuesday 10 September 2013

MY ATHEIST FRIEND



So a little while back i had the pleasure of coming across an atheist, now I'm sure most of you can't subscribe to the idea of a non-believer but i ask you this, why do you believe?
What fundamental reason aids your religious structure that you would think it so unshakable? Are you not human like the rest of us, born of a curious mind eager to attain knowledge despite its slippery grasp? There are answers out there somewhere, maybe a better man than myself will have a clue because in all honesty i don't know how to believe anymore. I don't doubt the existence of God but rather religion.  
Therefore I'm not sure what that makes me but in all honesty can you blame me? Society has lost it direction and people are taking advantage of a sacred institution without understanding the domino effect it results in. Younger generations, more and more are moving away from the church under the belief that it has little to offer.

So back to the story of my non-believer pal(gosh, that sounds so weird to the tongue). I was curious of course to find out what it really means to be an atheist and boy did i find out quite a lot. Firstly there's different kinds of atheists , six to be exact but generally in my opinion there are two types those that lack belief or are simply find it hard believing in what they cannot see and those that completely and utterly refuse to believe there is a God and go ahead to criticize  those that do. In short passive and aggressive kinds of atheists. In Kenya , I'm yet to come across an anti-theist(apparently the most aggressive of the atheists though I'm curious how they would be). Most are simply doubtful of religion , you've lived your life being told what is right and what is wrong but funny enough no one ever went so far as to explain why , simply that we should follow the bible. This coupled by the abuse of the church by individuals out to make a quick shilling serves to breed a population of non-believers.

Our debate touched on the social and religious aspects that give rise to an atheist and how religion is becoming more and more of a sham with more people simply following it to keep up with the facade of a righteous society(which really is a shame).So then it begs the question, was my friend wrong to end up where they did in matters of belief. I often wonder if i will go down the same road myself, Only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment