Wednesday 7 January 2015

Selfishness is Life Saving


For the most part I would argue against this title, especially given how selfishness has led our country to the dogs. Starting from the endless spats of insecurity to the recent rise and fall of less than standard building in mid to low income areas and the never ending menace that is corruption. And for most of that argument I would be right, this has nothing to do with the fact that I'm seated here alone with no one to oppose me. But that got me thinking, if we were to be truly selfless in our actions, how would the end result affect us as an individual in our own right?

Just for a moment think about it,someone needs food, you give them some because it is the right thing to do. You see a burning building, you rush in to try help giving no regard to your own safety. See a fight, you play the peacemaker even if it means taking a few blows to the old noggin (Been there and honestly never again). An old lady trying to cross the road, you help her because who wouldn't help her?

This is the point where I raise my hand all shy like, knowing what I'm saying goes against every societal norm ever taught but I say , gotta look out for number one. Not to sound mean but old folks have a tendency to miss that spring in their step and on busy roads where the ever careless Kenyan drivers fail to reduce their speeds (so much for speed limits) , I don't want to find myself on the wrong side of those speed demons. All it takes is a fraction of a second and a simple walk across the road becomes an eternal  rest six feet below. As I have always suggested, at our core we are set to self preservation unless you're trying to save a baby because I mean, babies are super cute and cuddly. 

A persons good-nature is always taken advantage of and its high time we stop trying to justify this by saying its better to give than to receive. If that was the case then everyone would be a giver, but the truth of the matter is that we all love to stretch out our hands to receive AKA handouts. No person ever made it in life because they loved to give, lets be real. The shroud nature of business revolves around the notion that we must guard what we have jealously in order to attain more and I agree. Until you value what you have enough not to want to share then you don't understand what loss is, just SayinG

No comments:

Post a Comment