Wednesday 16 July 2014

The Open Road



Its been too long since I took a trip to no where, just got into the car and headed to no where in particular. I believe those are the trips you won't so soon forget, no set destination just you and the open road and a world full of possibilities. This takes me back to my first ever road-trip. 

I believe it was in the winter of '98 (as if we have such things) and my mum had traveled to Amsterdam if I remember correctly. So the weekend she was meant to come back my dad wakes up on a Friday and tells us to get in the car. Being kids, a chance to get in the car and go somewhere was like waking up to gifts under the Christmas tree unlike children of today who see cars as a necessity rather than a privilege.

Mornings have never been my thing so of course I dragged my feet a bit but I was eager all the same,we dived into the back seat and off we went. There's something about the open road, the way nature keeps rushing by as the car speeds off into the distance. We told stories I honestly can't remember but the car was full of laughter, that much I am sure of and geography was taught as our dad brandished us with his worldly knowledge watching as our eyes filled with wonder and amazement.

That was the first time we passed Kericho and I remember wondering why the grass was so tall and green, looking back now its a good thing I kept my thoughts to myself. It was a beautiful sight to behold, still is to this day, for me anyway. We were hell bent to make good time therefore Nakuru was skipped as a stop point in preference of Naivasha. We made the stop at some petrol station, Oil Libya if memory serves me right, there was a restaurant somewhere within the vicinity packed with travelers heading up country and some like us heading towards the big city.

We went with the kid's menu favorite, chips & sausage, to date I still don't understand why kids love that meal so much. That sausage wasn't beef though, it was NOT beef. We ended up throwing them somewhere on the outskirts of Nairobi as we gazed upon the lights of the city that seldom sleeps. Fatigue had begun to set in, 7 hours on the road is no small feat especially at that age. I honestly can't tell you where we slept but it will be a while before I forget that trip, just sayinG.

No comments:

Post a Comment